Sunday, February 12, 2017

Art Educator Spotlight - Blair Winters - February 13, 2017

I'd like to introduce you to Blair Winters!


Blair has been teaching middle school art for six years. Her favorite thing about teaching art is "when students surprise themselves with what they create. Sometimes you get those students who like things to be perfect. I love it when they make a 'mistake' and let it change the direction of their work. They learn from it. Let it change them when they persevere. I think art can teach students to break free from our our personal constraints that hold us back. I like watching that happen."

Some of the highlights of Blair's teaching career to date was earning her Masters Degree with honors in Educational Technology from Michigan State University in 2013. She received the MSU COGS Academic Poster Presenter Award in 2013. In 2012, she received a Teaching Excellence Award from her district.

Check out Blair's teacher website which is a wonderful resource for her students and their parents, as well as a place to get a glimpse inside her art room.

Blair's favorite quote:
Blair's most memorable moment was when she had a transgendered student a couple of years ago:

"I was fine using a male name she preferred even though some other teachers had reservations. I asked him about what pronouns to use when addressing him. Apparently I was the 1st person to ever do that. I did not know this at the time. When he left to go to high school he wrote me a really nice letter thanking me for always accepting him for who he was. I felt like I had made a difference with that student."

No comments:

Post a Comment